Welcome & News

Please visit the introduction to this blog.
Slowly updating some bits and posts so do visit them again. Let me know what you think by leaving a comment! :)

Monday, December 29, 2008

Emma

Manga complete. by MORI Kaoru

Brief Summary: Rich guy falls for maid, and of course society is against it.

Maybe I shouldn't be reviewing this one since I stopped at two chapters, but I just wanted to note down the disinterest (altho to be fair I know this title has a lot of fans and it isn't that the artwork is bad per se, just that the drawing style isn't really the type I like and the storyline was just so flat).

In the first chapter you have the guy falling for the girl already, without exchanging more than ten words (erm, I didn't actually count). Ok ok, so bash me over the head, that's how shojos go right (is this a shojo?)? But the next thing you know, the guy's friend comes (chapter 2 if I'm not wrong) and falls for her too, without even saying a word this time. What gives? Scratch head.

My Rating:
Hmmm...I think I can't qualify to give a rating, as mentioned above. But I would say I'm not reading anymore (that should give you a hint).

On the other hand, I've read many people's comments about how they are fans of her work and this series, so perhaps there is something I'm missing. Also, her art may appeal to some people more than me. I read that this mangaka really does her homework on the eras that she draws.

Actually, she has another one out called Otoyomegatari which I've found quite interesting. The art there is also quite incredible, so it's quite strange that I have such differing views on the two. But at the same time I also find that story quite slow and meandering in a sense.

2 comments:

horus said...

Caught part of the anime on Animax and quite liked it. Well, anything beats having to read the book and having had that as my set text for A Levels Lit was a killer! One of the reasons i dropped Lit. Haha...

Didn't know its out as manga; hmm, maybe i'll check out Kinokuniya...

Nausicaa said...

hihi, I'm not quite sure this is an adaptation. I believe it's an entirely new creative work (I didn't read the literary work). I find that usually mangas are even if they follow a sketchy similarity.

MO's Link Logo

MO's Link Logo
For black bkg...feel free to use or just a text link is also appreciated.

Link Logo for white bg

Link Logo for white bg
Thanks for linking to us

Successfully recommended to the Library

  • Skip Beat Vol. 17

Ins and outs

Would like:
Ultimate Venus Vol.5
A.I Revolution Vols 5 and upwards
Possibly Skip Beat Vol. 16 and upwards

On offer:

1. Pet Shop of Horrors Vol. 4
2. Pet Shop of Horrors Vol. 9
3. Tokyo Pet Shop of Horrors Vol.1
4. Tokyo Pet Shop of Horrors Vol. 2
5. Godchild Vol. 2
6. Godchild Vol. 3
7. Dazzle Vol. 1
8. Dazzle Vol. 2
9. Dazzle Vol. 8
10. Dazzle Vol. 9
11. Special A Vol.5
12. La Corda D'Ore Vol. 6
13. Tail of the Moon Vol. 11 and 13
14. Her Majesty's Dog Vol. 11
15. Mugen Spiral Vol. 1
16. Your and my secret

Email me at mangaobsess(at)simplypeaceable.com if you are interested